Monday, October 6, 2008

Busy week







When we first moved here, I had quite a few pity parties for myself because we didn't know anyone and I was lonely, missing my friends from Arkansas. Now I'm trying to find the time to slow down! Be careful what you wish for, right? We have been running and running it seems. I haven't needed a planner since I started my gig as full-time mom. Or maybe I needed one, but just didn't carry one! Now, my phone is my lifeline. I swear if I didn't have that calendar that bings at me to remind me of things I would never make it anywhere! Poor Sam is the one that suffers for our schedule. He'll be peacefully taking a nap in his bed and be roused by me because I have to pick up Audrey from pre-school or run to the store or whatever. I hate that he never seems to get a full nap in all at once, but only catches his sleep in snitches here and there. He may just have to learn to adapt.

Sam sure is a great kid regardless of all our scheduling issues. He's usually just so happy and easy to be with. I am so in love! Except for this morning. I taught Joy School this morning. I think I told you all about that. It's kind of a co-op pre-school that Audrey is doing with some kids that we have met. We do this on Monday mornings from 9-11:30. Actually I would have had it easy if Sam hadn't been extremely fussy this morning. I decided to have school at the USFS office where Vince works (except he's in Arkansas for court). One of the ladies there did a wildlife program for us and then Smokey Bear came to visit. Once the kids saw Smokey, it was all over for anyone else. They only had eyes for the bear! Audrey told all of them, "My dad works with Smokey!" The kids were duly impressed. So, I really didn't have to do that much work, but Sam cried almost the whole time. I couldn't just let him scream because there were people working in all the offices around the conference room where we were based. I'm sure some of those kids got an eyeful of booby because Sam wasn't happy with the bottle and as much as I tried to be discreet with a blanket over me, it's hard to walk around and teach 7 five year olds while holding an 18 pound kid in one arm who is wiggling and doing his best to dislodge said blanket. I may have to have a chat with some of the other moms!

Katie was excited that she got to stay for Joy School today. Usually, she just goes with me to drop Audrey off. She wants so badly to be able to do some of the things that her sister does. When she found out that she got to stay, her eyes lit up and she started yelling, "Yay!!" She's so frickin' cute sometimes I just want to eat her up! I wish that she could stay this age. Except be potty-trained and not so sassy. Oh, and able to do more stuff for herself. I guess I don't want her to stay this age! She cut her own hair the other day. I walked away for 2 seconds--2 seconds! That was all she needed. Luckily, she was very random and doesn't yet have a good feel for how to hold the scissors at the right angle for maximum hair-cutting efficiency. She did manage to get a couple chunks pretty short, but if her hair is down, they kinda blend. She won't be wearing any ponytails for a while! Geez. I say parenting is kinda like being a prison guard. You can't show weakness and you have to keep your eyes on them EVERY second or they will turn on you.

Vince is trying to brainwash my children. Sunday is football day at our house. Okay, it's church AND football day at our house. Last week the Redskins played the Cowboys, which--FYI-- is a huge rivalry for all you non-football fans. Vince is a die-hard Redskins fan and I love the Cowboys. We wore our football jerseys to church. Don't screw up your face like that! Our church is casual and fun. We were quite a hit and apparently started a trend since I saw some other people wearing jerseys this week. Anyway, his silly team beat my team. Who cares, we still rule! So, now he has his girls chanting, "Redskins, Redskins, Redskins!" Katie this morning saw a commercial that showed the Redskins and she started yelling, "Go, Raay-kins!" The things I put up with around here! Also, I had to get onto her the other day and it really upset her. She was crying and said in her little hitching voice, "I want my Daddy." She tells him he's the "bess" and that Mommy is just "the same". I'm not sure what that means, but she says it in a derogatory way. I tell ya, he really has them snowed. Just wait and see who's the best when they are teenagers and Daddy won't want to let them out of the house wearing anything less than a full suit of armor and flanked by big, fully armed bodyguards--if he lets them out at all! At least I have Sam in my corner for now. I have a feeling that as soon as he is a little less pre-occupied with boobs (oh, wait--he's Vince's son. Never mind.) he may be more persuadable.

So, I haven't been back to the YMCA yet, except to take the girls swimming. I was still feeling pretty hinky when I got up Friday morning. Couldn't make the spinning class-darn. This morning I was in Joy School, so couldn't make the Body Torture class either. I'm still a little sore today too, but at least I can sit and stand without the aid of a winch. I'm gonna try to go on Wednesday. I think I may have hurt myself. Not from the class, but from the after-effects. I was so sore that I would clench and tense up when I had to sit down or anything. I think that by doing that I injured myself. I'll just have to wait and see if it's just soreness or a real problem.

Well, I think this is long enough for now. Much love from the frozen tundra!

No comments: