Monday, December 1, 2008

Surrounded by turkeys

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. We just hung out here and cooked up a little feast and then tried to watch some football, but with 3 kids, I don't get much watching done. Vince, on the other hand, just ignores as best he can and follows the games with a focus only known to men on football days. On Friday we tried not to venture out of the house to avoid being trampled by the masses on their way to fight over the latest gadgets. I don't know about you guys, but I'm thinking God doesn't intend for us to make Christmas about how much stuff we can get at bargain basement prices. I love a deal as much as the next person, but seriously? I guess I just don't get why I would want to get up at 3AM to wait in line for the doors to open and then fight the crowds to maybe get a great deal on some silly thing. Personally I would rather pay full-price or not get it at all. There was a 15 year old girl who got punched in the throat at our Wal-Mart by an adult man because she got the last X-Box. And the guy who was trampled by the shoppers in New Jersey? They just need to take all those people out. Who does that? Maybe I'm just a snob. Maybe I'm smart. Who knows?

Friday night we ended up in the ER with Katie. She woke up around midnight with a horrible croupy cough. She couldn't even talk, she was so choked up. Her little chest was just sinking in with the effort to breathe. I took her outside in the cold air for about 10 minutes, but that wasn't really helping, so off we went. Vince stayed with the other sleepers. At the hospital, they gave us some meds to help her breathe and sent us home. We were back at home in our beds within one hour of getting to the hospital! That's a record. That was the best experience in an ER that I have ever had. I remember sitting with a 2 yr. old Audrey for 5 hours in the ER waiting room. Her eye had swollen up after a bug bite. She looked horrible. The eye was swelled shut and then some and was so red and hot. Finally after 5 hours they showed us to a room in the back where we waited for another hour just to be seen by a doctor. Vince was so stinkin' mad I thought he was gonna kill someone just to get some attention. The entire time we were there, her eye was getting worse and worse. Poor baby. It was awful. If you are ever in Sierra Vista, AZ and have an emergency, just keep driving the hour to Tucson. I guarantee you will be out of there and back home before you are even noticed at the ER in Sierra Vista. They have too many illegals cramming the system.

Whew! I am really rolling tonight, huh? Someone take this soap box before I really go off! I might hurt myself. Anyway, Katie is feeling better except for this stupid cold that keeps coming back and finding it's way into the rest of us. I swear, this kid gets colds all the time. And she keeps giving them to Sam because she's always in his face. Now Sam has a really bad cough. Right before I was leaving for the YMCA tonight, I picked him up to say goodnight and he started coughing so much, he choked and threw up all over me. Yay! Dontcha just LOVE kids? I was late to the Y. The night that Katie woke up so sick, she was trying to tell me that she thought she had the hiccups. (I guess that was what she figured the weird cough was). I told her that she was croupy and she said, "and creepy" in her froggy voice. I just had to laugh.

Well, I think that I have all my Christmas shopping done. I keep saying that and then I think of something else that someone would love and then I'm not done! But really, I'm done now. Vince says so. I was at the fabric store the other day and saw that tulle was 50% off so I thought I would make the girls some tutus. They are so easy and the girls love to play dress up. When I brought it home, Vince just rolled his eyes at me. They will be really cute, cheap Christmas gifts I think. I seriously only spent $2 on all the stuff I needed. I have been sewing up a storm. I've made 2 more dresses for the girls, a tote bag, and the tutus--but you really don't have to sew them if you don't want to. The fabric store is a dangerous place. I could spend lots of money in there. My problem is that when I get started on a project, I don't want to quit until it's done. Probably because that means I have to put everything away and clean up when I take a break since I have no place to sew but my dining table or coffee table. And it really stinks to have to put it all away and then pull it all back out. If I didn't though there would be a thread trail to China and back and Katie probably wouldn't have any hair and Audrey would reset my machine to some crazy settings that I would have no idea how to fix. That's what happpens when you turn your back for 2 minutes. Can you imagine what would happen if I left my stuff out all the time?

Sam is starting to fuss. I'm sure he needs his night time booby fest so he can get back to sleep for a while. I wish I could sleep until morning without being awakened. I wouldn't know what to do with a full night's sleep! I was going to say that I will have to wait until my kids are out of the house for that, but by that time I'll be so old that I will have to get up to pee every hour. I think my power-sleeping nights are behind me. Too bad, I was really good at it.

I hope you all have visions of sugarplums dancing in your heads tonight. Mine will likely be more along the lines of sugared donuts. Happy snoozing.

No comments: