Friday, April 24, 2009

Swimming with the fishes

We've given up our dance shoes in favor of swim fins. I signed the girls up for swimming lessons because for some reason, my kids are terrified of getting their heads wet. They will happily splash away in water up to say, waist-level, but anything beyond that and they freak out. If we try to take Audrey out in deeper water with us, she keeps a white knuckle grip around your neck so that you can't possibly be separated from her or try to hold her at arm's distance and dunk her. Katie of course, hated it. She was made to sit out and then told to go ahead and get her towel because she absolutely refused to so what the instructors said after about the first 4 minutes. Sound familiar? Maybe she just loathes structure? I don't know. What I do know is that I told her in no uncertain terms that she WAS going to continue with the classes and that she WAS going to participate if I had to throw her in the pool myself. The next lesson, Daddy was with us and we made a big deal out of how well they were doing. Katie was fine. She did everything she was told to do and even-gasp!-had fun doing it. Audrey loved it from the get-go. They both went under water. Audrey says twice, but that's debatable. Katie still fights with everything in her to hang on to the teacher so tightly as she's jumping in that her face never comes close to the water. The teacher, meanwhile is trying everything in her power to dunk her to try and show her that it doesn't hurt to go under. The instructor told me after the first class that the girls had homework. They were to blow bubbles in the bathtub every time they take a bath and try to work up to putting their faces under water. Audrey will do it up to her eyes, but Katie I have to force to blow bubbles. Stubborn little thing. But I still think it's a good thing and will at least get them more comfortable with the water.

Let's get the weather issue out of the way and move on. Yesterday it was 85 degrees. We went to the park after working at the YMCA all morning. It was almost hot except for the wind. We were all wearing shorts and had slathered ourselves in sunscreen. We were told by the weather gurus that some cooler weather and rain was headed for us. This morning we woke up and it was snowing. It hasn't been much above freezing all day and has been alternating between snow and rain. It's really crazy. I'm confused. Is it spring or not?

Sam's first birthday is coming and we are still trying to decide what to do. I think we are leaning toward staying home and having a small celebration with just us and possibly our neighbors. They call the kids their grandkids and just love being with them, so I think they would enjoy being invited. I sent out an e-mail today requesting that everyone start thinking about items to send for his time capsule. Consider yourselves informed.

Lately, I am hooked on Twilight. Unless you live under a rock, you have probably heard of these books and movies. It was written for the young adult crowd, but there were several mommy friends of mine that had gotten into them as well and I decided to check out what all the hype was about. OMG! It's like crack. Really. After reading the first book, I could not wait to read the second one. I watched the movie and am now in love with Robert Pattinson who plays the male lead. He's such a hottie! Vince tells me I am pathetic, but who cares what he thinks, huh. ;-) I'm telling you--do not read the first book unless you want to be addicted. I ordered the rest of the books in the series and am very impatiently awaiting their arrival. I check the front door at least 25 times a day just in case the mailman snuck them up there without me seeing or hearing him. I have to stop talking about it now because I'm gonna start twitching any minute. My friend Ruth, who let me borrow the first book, says her plan for world Twilight domination is almost complete. She even inserts an evil little "mwuuahaha" laugh for effect.

Hang on, I gotta go find some wool socks. My feet are freezing...Okay, that's a little better.

What else? I guess that's about it. We haven't been doing much except going to the park to take advantage of the nice weather and getting ready for V to go out of town for a couple weeks. He's on his way to GA for some training. It will suck while he's gone, but it looks good on his resume. I just had to retrieve Sam from the bathroom where he was partaking in his new favorite past-time. Toilet water playtime. Yuck! I try to keep reminding everyone to shut the toilet and shut the bathroom door, but for some reason, this is a very hard thing for anyone to remember. He's such a boy. He loves the remotes, phones, and the toilet. And he will put anything in his mouth. My girls never did these things. Currently he is dismantling the fridge magnets. Anything he can take apart or destroy. The ladies at the Y just love him. He growls at them and they laugh and laugh. A lot of them tell me that he is their favorite baby in there. They could just be blowing smoke, but I choose to think they are telling the truth. He's my favorite baby in there too. He's cutting 5 teeth at the same time so he hasn't been the happiest kid in the world, but overall he's still pretty mellow.

I guess I should go so that I can come up with something for dinner. I need to wake Katie also. I made her nap today even though she said she wasn't tired. She's been sleeping for a while and will be a bear tonight if she gets too much sleep this afternoon. It goes against everything I stand for to wake a sleeping kid, but I really should.

Good evening to all.

No comments: