Friday, January 30, 2009

My big girl

Yay! Katie is officially potty-trained. We (or should I say I) have been fighting with her for a while now. She knew what to do, just wasn't doing it. She would do fine when we were at home and she could run around naked, but as soon as she put clothes on, she would have accident after accident. I guess it was just the sensation of having something against her skin that made her think she had a diaper on. Anyway, I told you all about the dance class that we are signing her up for. She is so excited! I also told her that they don't take babies that wear diapers. They only take big girls who wear panties. That was all it took. She just did it. "Now I can go to dance class" she says. We were trapped inside by super-cold weather and sickness for several days and she was able to concentrate on going in the big potty. We worked at the Y on Tuesday and she went all day with no accidents. I didn't even have to remind her to go but once. I repeat--YAY!!!!

We really have nothing else to report right now. I'm still running. I'm so proud of myself. I really am beginning to enjoy it. Well, maybe not enjoy, but...I don't know the right word. I find myself WANTING to go run. Who would've thought? On days when I can't get out for a run, I get cranky. Most days, especially this past week I have been inside on the treadmill, which is way less fun than being able to get out on the trails, but at least I have that and my DVR'd episodes of The Young and the Restless. I'm up to 3 miles a day now. I think I may be stuck there for a while. By the time I'm at 2 1/2 miles, I'm really ready to stop! Lately, I have been concentrating on increasing my speed. I have said before that I run really slowly. I still do. I'm up to 5 MPH now. Not very fast, but it feels like sprinting to me!

Sam is getting faster too. He is just army-crawling all over the place. It's so funny to watch. Just a couple nights ago, I went into his room in the middle of the night to check on him and he was just sitting up in his crib. He's never been able to sit up by himself before. He's done it several times since then. He once tried to pull himself up on the recycling can. That didn't work out so well for him. He was just covered in plastic and aluminum! Now I have to worry about blocking him out of the kitchen. I blocked the main entrance from the LR, but didn't worry about the other entrance from the hallway because I didn't figure that he would crawl that far. Well, of course he outsmarted me! I came back in the LR and he was on the kitchen side of the blockade. Silly mommy. Now I have to block off both doorways.

Today was fairly warm by SD standards. It got to about 50, so I took the kids to the park after picking Audrey up from school. I brought light coats, but it was still cold with the wind that is always blowing here. Katie about froze to death. She was just shivering. Audrey, in true Audrey fashion, didn't even notice the weather. She never does. She could be out there in a T-shirt and not be cold. Or at least not admit that she's cold. They were having to step around the piles of snow that haven't melted yet. I will have my first parent-teacher conference next week. I'm a little nervous. I'm afraid that she's going to tell me that we are raising Audrey all wrong. Of course, the tiny portion of my brain dedicated to sane thinking is saying that that's ridiculous and that if she were having troubles in school, surely I would have been informed before now. But as all moms know, rational thinking goes completely out the door on most days with kids. I'll let you know how it goes.

I think that we are all feeling better now. Sam went back to the Dr. and he said that he's over the RSV, but will have a cough for several more weeks. His cough seems to be gone already and we have not had to do a breathing treatment for a while. Katie is over her belly issues. I have started giving her a daily dose of Miralax to keep things moving along. She gets so constipated all the time. Since I started giving her the Miralax in her drinks, she hasn't had any issues and I am getting a lot more sleep. Another yay! I probably just jinxed myself, didn't I?

Well, I guess that's all for now. Like I said, nothing much to report. Hugs and kisses to all...

No comments: