Saturday, January 30, 2010

Lazy Daze

The kids and I are having a lazy day today and have decided that we are way too good at this
lazy thing! I was planning on running today, but instead I slept in (if you can call 8:00 sleeping late) and kinda found myself marooned on the couch watching a What Not To Wear marathon. Now it's almost supper time and I still have only accomplished cleaning out the microwave and doing a couple loads of laundry. It still needs to be folded. Go figure. Oh, well. There's always tomorrow, right? I still haven't put a bra on. Sheesh! I AM good at this lazy thing!

Sam's black eye is gone finally. It took about 10 days for it to fade completely. I only had to tell the story a million times, but that's okay. You all know how much I love to repeat myself. He's had this nasty cold lately. Ever since he had RSV last year, when he gets a cold it really settles in to stay. Mainly in his chest. He coughs like an 85 year old smoker. Poor kid. And to add to his misery, last night I was folding clothes and had the coffee table and ottoman pushed together to place my folded piles on. He was trying to come around them with a giant glass of water in his hands (the little thief!) and tripped over the dumbells that were strategically placed directly in his path. I got blamed for that since I had used them earlier, but I put them up against the wall where no one would be walking normally-thank you very much. He whacked his noggin on one of the dumbells and literally dented his head. When he came up screaming I could tell that he was really hurt and saw the dent. Good Lord. It's not dented anymore and I did keep checking on him, especially after he went to bed to make sure that he was okay. He seems fine. THEN, this morning after I stumbled out of bed in my pre-coffee haze I smelled something foul and picked him up to change him. I was trying to get through the passage into the hallway and slammed his head into the wall. I swear. It would be funny if my laughter didn't count against me in the quickly accumulating evidence of my horrible parenting skills. Vince looked at me like I did it on purpose. As if I didn't feel bad enough already. I'm definitely looking into a crash helmet for this kid.

Katie said something funny a while back. I was telling her to go do something and she looked at me and goes, "Mom, can I have a little compassion here?". Yeah, sure kid. Just as soon as you do what you've been told to do. She's been throwing an awful lot of temper tantrums lately. She just falls to her knees weeping like it's the second coming of Christ. Except with a lot more drama. I'm so tired of trying to get through to her. Just another example of my lack of skills. If I try praising her, she doesn't care. If I try punishing her, she doesn't care. If I try taking a toy or fun activity away from her, she doesn't care. I give up. Maybe I should just let Audrey be in charge. She thinks she's the boss anyway. She tried to put Sam in time out today for getting into her stuff. When I brought up the fact that if she had put away her art box after she was done with it, he would not have gotten into it, she looked at me like I was an idiot. Of course that's not the point, silly Mother. I think I may be in way over my head with these 3! And I was having a little case of baby fever earlier this week after holding a sweet tiny little boy at the YMCA! Ha! They don't stay sweet for long. Or little. Audrey has already outgrown the jeans I got for her at the beginning of the school year. Her 6's are too short. Her 6 slims are too slim and her 6x's are too big in the waist and too short in the legs. I gave up and went to our new Goodwill store for some 7's. I love Goodwill. I got 2 pair of jeans, one brand new with the tags still on them and one that look like new, both brand name and super cute for $2.50 each. What a steal! And my son, bless his pretty little black and blue head, is now outgrowing his 2T things. I can't keep up. If he keeps growing like this, he's gonna be 6'7" and 350 pounds by the time he's in Kindergarten. His favorite word right now (besides "NO!") is "cheese". As in, "Woman, I need a string cheese in the next 2 seconds or I'm going to perish of malnutrition. NOW!" Maybe lots of cheese will help stop him up a little. I'm really ready for him to be potty trained. He does sit on the edge and say "potty", but any time I put him up there for real, he freaks out. So, we wait. This morning when I smelled him before I saw him and took him to be changed, the poop had run down into the legs of his jammies. I wonder how long my husband was going to let him stew in his own juices before giving in and either waking me up or actually changing him with his own hands? Maybe that's why he wasn't making the kids be particularly quiet this morning while I was trying to sleep in? Hmmm, thoughts to ponder, people.

Here's another funny from Audrey. We were playing on their Webkinz sites and Audrey was teasing Katie that she gave her pet a funny name. Katie named her monkey Flower. Audrey kept telling her that wasn't a real name. You wanna know what Audrey named her Webkinz? It's a dragon named-what else?-Dragony Dragon. LOL! She didn't like me much when I pointed out the fact that Katie's name was probably closer to a "real" name than hers was. I'm laughing just picturing her face! Soooo not looking forward to the teenage years!

No comments: